It’s late September and fall has officially arrived. Basic betches all over Pinterest are talking about Ugg Boots, Pumpkin Spice Lattes and infinity scarves. Meanwhile, in San Diego, it’s literally one million degrees and all I can think about is the fact that I’m already sick of every piece of summer clothing I own.
While I might be ready for fall, San Diego (and the rest of Southern California) clearly is not. Temperatures are set to stick around the mid-seventies for the rest of the week, and heat waves are sure to arise. So, ditch the hot apple cider by the fireplace (for now) and make your fall get-together heat friendly with yummy recipes from Taste of Home’s Simple & Delicious Cookbook and tips from yours truly.
Now, when I hear “fiesta”, I hear “snacks” and “booze”. To kick off my fall gathering, I started with Taste of Home’s Chicken Enchilada Dip. This recipe was insanely easy. I blended all my ingredients, popped the dip in the microwave and presto! So delicious (scroll down for the full recipe).
This little number is perfect for a hot fall day because it’s packed with flavor, gives you a little kick without being overpowering and, hello, it’s orange! Pair with Coronas and mini pumpkins for a delicious (and festive) touch.
What could be more appropriate for a party than Savory Party Bread? This sourdough loaf is stuffed with an entire pound of Monterey Jack cheese, butter, green onions and poppy seeds. While this heavenly loaf is honestly appropriate for any season, it does a fabulous job of giving you that “warm and fuzzy” fall feeling.
I paired the party bread with my favorite beer, the Grunion Pale Ale from Ballast Point! This beer also fits in any season or situation (breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, the possibilities are endless).
Craft your own fall party appetizers, and check out the Simple & Delicious Cookbook for more!
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- Tortilla Chips
- In a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish, combine the first eight ingredients.
- Microwave, uncovered, on high for 4-5 minutes; stir.
- Microwave, uncovered, 3-4 minutes longer or until heated through.
- Serve with tortilla chips. Yields 3 cups!
- 1 unsliced round loaf sourdough bread (1 pound)
- 1 pound Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 to 3 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut bread widthwise into 1-in. slices to within 1/2 in. of bottom of loaf. Repeat cuts in opposite direction. Cut cheese into 1/4-in. slices; cut slices into small pieces. Place cheese in cuts.
- In a small bowl, mix the butter, onions and poppy seeds; drizzle over bread. Wrap in foil; place on a baking sheet. Baking 15 minutes. Unwrap; bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.